Dopamine-friendly July Fourth Sides
Looking for dopamine-boosting sides for your Fourth of July BBQ? We've got a few recipes for you. Remember to pair these with a protein like fish, chicken or a lean meat and you've got the perfect—and healthy—menu for your Fourth of July celebration.
Broccoli salad with almonds and cranberry
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 1 bunch)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup reduced-sugar dried cranberries
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Soak red onion in cold water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Combine mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients (through pepper), stirring well with a whisk.
- Stir in red onion, broccoli, and remaining ingredients. Cover and chill 1 hour before serving.
Watermelon, tomato and feta salad
- 4 to 6 large tomatoes, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup feta cheese, torn into large crumbles
- Combine the cubed tomatoes and watermelon in a large, nonreactive bowl and toss gently to combine. Add salt and let stand 5 to 10 minutes while you prepare the dressing.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cheese to the tomatoes and watermelon, then the dressing, and toss gently to combine.
Classic deviled eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (can substitute with avocado for a healthier version)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Smoked Spanish paprika, for garnish
- Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan and cover with enough water that there's 1 1/2 inches of water above the eggs.
- Heat on high until water begins to boil, then cover, turn the heat to low, and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for 14 minutes, then rinse under cold water continuously for 1 minute.
- Crack egg shells and carefully peel under cool running water. Gently dry with paper towels.
- Slice the eggs in half lengthwise, removing yolks to a medium bowl, and placing the whites on a serving platter.
- Mash the yolks into a fine crumble using a fork. Add mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Evenly disperse heaping teaspoons of the yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Happy Fourth from all of us at Sanus Biotech!