Easy brain healthy recipes
Salmon potato cakes
Serves 4 | Prep time: 30 minutes
- 2-6- to 7-ounce cans boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tbs whole-grain mustard
- 3 tbs chopped fresh dill or 3 teaspoons dried, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen hash-brown shredded potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 of a cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine salmon, onion, eggs and egg white, mustard, 2 tablespoons fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried), pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add potatoes and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Fill a 1-cup measure two-thirds full with the salmon mixture and firmly pack it down. Un-mold into the pan and pat to form a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 3 more cakes. Cover and cook until browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Gently turn over and cook, covered, until crispy on the other side, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the cakes to a baking dish; keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the skillet and cook 4 more cakes with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining salmon mixture.
- Combine sour cream, capers, lemon juice and the remaining dill in a small bowl. Serve the salmon cakes with the dill sauce.
Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Makes 12 sausage patties | Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. Ground Pork
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Sage
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- Measure and mix spices.
- Add spices to ground pork.
- With hands, mix spices and pork together.
- For mini-sausage balls, roll into 24 balls and place each one in mini-muffin tin.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-23 minutes or until no longer pink in the center.
- For sausage patties, form into 12 equal size patties.
- Pan fry in cast iron skillet, on medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the center.