Tips for getting a good nights sleep
Dopamine helps regulate our sense of feeling awake and alert and studies show that people who are sleep-deprived produce less dopamine. If you have trouble sleeping, try one or more of these tips for a good nights rest.
- Keep a sleep schedule. Going to bed and waking up at the same time, even on weekends, helps regulate your body clock.
- Avoid Naps. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good nap, but if you have trouble sleeping at night, napping will make falling asleep at night more difficult.
- Create a sleep-friendly room. Keep the temperature in your bedroom cool. Eliminate any brith lights or noice that can keep you up. Consider using a sleep mask or a noise machine with “white” noise to help you fall asleep.
- Exercise. Exercise is good for a lot of things, but it can also help you sleep better. Try experimenting with different times a day that promote a good nights sleep.
- Avoid alcohol. While you may think a glass of wine before beds helps you fall asleep, it won’t help you stay asleep. In fact, you’ll probably find yourself getting up in the middle of the night, frustrated and not able to go back to sleep.
- Create a relaxing ritual. Come up with a ritual you do before getting into bed. It can be as simple as meditation or unplugging an hour before bedtime. Anything that gets you to relax and start to feel sleepy works.